Monday, July 02, 2007

Photo Blog - July 1, 2007

It wasn't your typical Sunday at the malls. The 7% GST was in effect and everyone panic-bought the stuff they wanted while the GST was still 5%. (Not that 2% made any difference to the average consumer, unless you were buying a car or any luxury item.) Anyway the mall sojourn was another excuse to take snapshots of the more familiar locations of Singapore.

the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm lens - the one that comes with the D40 kit

the Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor - cheapest telephoto lens ever

Today I ditched my 18-55mm AF Nikkor lens in favor of my 55-200 AF VR Nikkor. VR (vibration reduction) saves me the trouble of having to carry a tripod - very useful if you've got shaky hands (like me). Using this lens gives me a better depth of field and allows me to take closer detail shots of my subjects - such as the Esplanade..


It was almost evening and I managed to get an orange sky with the St. Andrew's Cathedral at the foreground:


Aside from pointy structures, there are lots of round landscape elements in Singapore. People here seem to have an obsession for anything phallic and spherical. Er..


Across Marina Square is Suntec City, one of the bigger mixed used landmarks in the city. Those fins on top of the Suntec International Convention Center change colors every ? seconds.


..and that's Carlton Hotel by the background, the place where I stayed a few years ago when I first visited Singapore.





It was past 10 when I decided to head home but no cab was in sight.. Tried booking a cab but the lines were engaged.. after enduring that automated "please hold.. our customer service assistant will attend to you shortly" for almost 20 minutes, I took a bus that brought me to the Outram Park station. I ended up at the edge of Chinatown and while waiting for the next bus, I spotted an interesting ceiling feature in one of the coffee shops in the area.


Uh oh my bus has arrived..

No comments: